The McKinsey 7S Model is a tool that analyzes organizational effectiveness by examining seven interdependent elements: Strategy, Structure, Systems, Shared Values, Style, Staff, and Skills. This model can be particularly useful for businesses adopting new IT systems, as it encourages a holistic approach to change, ensuring that all aspects of the organization are aligned with new ways of working.
Here’s how each element of the 7S model can be applied to a business undergoing IT system changes:
1. Strategy: The business must align its strategy with the new IT system. This could involve redefining goals to leverage the capabilities of the new technology and considering how the IT system will support achieving these objectives.
2. Structure: The organizational structure may need to change to support the new IT system. This could mean reorganizing teams, changing reporting lines, or introducing new roles to manage and maintain the IT system effectively.
3. Systems: This refers to the daily activities and procedures that staff members engage in. With the adoption of new IT systems, existing processes will need to be revised to ensure they integrate well with the technology and drive efficiency.
4. Shared Values: The core values of the company should be revisited to emphasize adaptability and continuous improvement, which are critical when integrating new technology. These values should be reflected in the behavior and mindset of the employees during the transition.
5. Style: Leadership style must support the change. Leaders should model behaviors that embrace the new IT system, encouraging a culture of learning and flexibility to adapt to the new ways of working.
6. Staff: The company needs to ensure it has the right people in place to support the new IT system. This may involve recruiting individuals with specific IT skills, providing training for current staff, or even redefining job roles to align with the new operational needs.
7. Skills: Employee skills must be assessed and developed to align with the new IT system requirements. Training programs should be implemented to upskill employees, ensuring they can effectively use the new system.
In applying the McKinsey 7S Model to a business adopting new IT systems, it’s essential for the leadership to evaluate and align these seven elements to support the change. This approach ensures that the organization’s structure, strategy, and staff are fully prepared for the new IT system, leading to a smoother transition and a stronger foundation for operating in new ways. It also helps in minimizing disruption and resistance to change by systematically preparing each facet of the organization for the new technological environment.
Adapt Consulting Company
We deliver projects and change, and improve the confidence, capacity, drive and desire of the people we work with. We understand data, technology and process and support people to drive performance and progress for purpose, profit and planet.
#people #process #performance #projects #programmes #pmo #change #processimprovement #projectmanagement #changemanagement #workshops #mediation #coach #icfcoach #mentor #facilitation #training #jersey #channelislands